Friday, December 14, 2012

TESOL and Esperanto

Between Christmas shopping and work I've been working on getting my TESOL certificate through Global Leadership College.  What happened was a coworker found a Groupon for it and told me about it.  It's a great deal - $69 for a 150 hour certification course, which usually runs $599.  So I went ahead and got it.  It expires in March.  Since I paid for it and it expires, it's my priority (except for December gift shopping/cards/etc. I mean).  So far I find it very extensive and moderately difficult.  I have to take notes, can't just wing it.  I'm getting a B so far (didn't take notes at first).  But I want to bring that up to an A eventually.

The other thing I've gotten into recently is Esperanto.  There are a ton of free courses online.  I like the idea of learning an easy-to-learn international language of peace and being able to travel to other countries and stay with natives who also speak Esperanto for free.

Tonight I went as far as the TESOL course could take me (you get graded manually for some sections and then it unlocks the next lesson) so then I tried some of this Esperanto course.  It was fun!  I feel like I have a bit of information overload right now.  So I think I'll start another blog or two about Esperanto perhaps and maybe TESOL too, not sure about that one though.  It'll be fun once I finally get to a point where I can converse in another language.

That's it for now.

C

5 comments:

Bill Chapman said...

There's a good text in English about Esperanto in China here:

http://www.thebeijinger.com/blog/2012/12/15/feli%C4%89-esperanto-tago

carolyn said...

Hey, thank you! I have started a blog for my Esperanto learning. It's on the right called caroesperanto. Thank you for stopping by. :)

Phillip said...

I tried to learn Esperanto a few years ago when I wasn't working. I found it a lot easier than trying to learn all of the commonly taught languages like French or German. The idea of a simple, globally unifying language is very appealing! Let me know how it goes!

carolyn said...

OK, I will keep you posted! So far it is going slowly because TESOL is my priority right now. Happy New Year!

Phillip said...

TESOL sounds like fun! Good luck with your studying!